Come support our all star teams!
Little League All-Stars: General Information
The Little League All-Star tournament is a competitive post-season competition where All-Star teams from each league compete for a District Championship. If a team wins the District 8 Tournament then the journey continues to the State Tournament. For Majors and Juniors baseball and softball All-Star teams if they continue winning, Regionals comes next and finally the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA (for baseball – softball World Series are in a different city each year).
The All-Star experience is Little League’s most competitive program and quite different from the normal Spring program because the goal is to WIN and advance to the next level. It is also an amazing experience for the families involved and exciting for the Woodinville community to cheer our teams along!
- 100% attendance to all activities (practice, team events, tournaments) is expected
- Commitments to other sports/teams are secondary to All-Stars (All-Stars team always holds priority over other teams)
- There will be practices/events/tournaments 6-7 days per week. Practices happen after school and typically last 3-4 hours between Cage Time and Field Practice
- Teams may participate in tournaments leading up to the District Tournament - there may be an out of town tournament that will require a hotel stay
- Practice will start June 1st and will work around Little League games and the Tournament of Champions
- The All-Stars season length is variable, depending on the age of the team and depending on how far the team advances. Families should ensure they are available through July
All-Star Committee & Selection Process
Teams are selected by a selection committee which consists of the All-Star Managers, the League President, the Vice President of Baseball/Softball, the Baseball/Softball Player Agents, and all regular season managers. This committee will review the player evaluation forms provided by the regular season managers and the results from tryouts if required. Managers from each division will provide input on players’ performance throughout the regular season including statistics and positions played.
It is the intent of the Woodinville Little League Board to field teams that will best represent our League in competition and character. All selection decisions regarding All-Star teams are made with Board and District approved requirements for All-Stars and in compliance with Little League International rules and regulations. Several characteristics permeate our selection process for Players and Managers for the All-Stars team:
- Skill-level and ability to compete
- Attitude, hustle, team spirit, team leadership
- Overall character, integrity, and sportsmanship
WLL will distribute All-Star Commitment Forms to all players league ages 8 -12 via email and make the form available website. If a player is interested in being an All-Star candidate, he/she must sign the Commitment Form and return it to their manager or the appropriate Player Agent by the date indicated on the current year Commitment Form.
To be eligible, a player must meet the following criteria:
- Player must be rostered on a WLL regular season team and have played in at least 60% of the games played by that team during the regular season
- Player must sign the WLL All-Star Player Commitment form and return it to their manager or the appropriate Player Agent by the date indicated on the current year Commitment Form to be eligible for All Star league game, tryouts and/or selection process.
- The player and parents must agree to not schedule vacation or other activities that will interfere with the player’s ability to attend ALL practices and ALL games during the All Star period (this may include weekend practices and games).
- The player and parents must provide a birth certificate and other residency documentation as required by Little League International and District 8. Failure to provide documentation in a timely manner is grounds for dismissal from the team.
Players who are injured at the time that the commitment forms are due are eligible for consideration if a parent or physician indicates that they will be healthy enough to practice and play by practice start date and have met all other eligibility requirements.
The Player Agent(s) will conduct a selection meeting for each tournament team. The selection committee shall consist of: All-Star Manager, President, appropriate Vice President, Umpire-in-Chief, Player Agents, and all regular season managers who evaluated players. If a manager is unable to attend, they may send one of their team’s coaches instead.
The meeting will be as follows:
- The selection committee will review the player evaluation forms provided by the regular season managers and the results from tryouts if required. Managers from each division will provide input on players’ performance throughout the regular season including statistics and positions played.
- All regular season managers vote in their respective levels for 10 players not from their own teams and not their own child. This vote will specifically aggregate the stack-ranking of the regular season manager’s tally. The top 9 are on the team. The All-Star manager seeds the remaining players that the selection committee did not place as he/she deems – the last 3 players on the roster.
- Players younger than the base age for each division (base age is defined as: Majors = 12; 10/11 = 11; 9/10 = 10) may be selected to play on the All-Star team if they are truly deemed by the selection committee to be better than base age alternatives. These players should be considered by the selection committee to be one of the best overall players in the selection pool and will be a primary player on the team. If these conditions cannot be met, then a base age player should be selected.
- Discussion by the entire selection committee of remaining players.
- After discussion of the remaining players in the All-Star Manager will select the remaining players for the team.
Ballots, manager player evaluations and manager vote tabulations will be retained by the President and will be strictly confidential. Only the final selections will be published. Every effort will be made to contact all All-Star participants within 24 hours of the selection regarding who made the team as well as those that competed well but did not make the final selection.
Team Announcement & Fees
The WLL Board will designate a time to announce the All-Star Teams in conjunction with a date specified by Little League International. All-Star Managers, coaches and players for each All-Star Team will be specially designated at the WLL Awards Ceremony and listed on the WLL website. All Stars are expected to pay $150 to the league upon player selection. Parents/Guardians are responsible for any additional All-Star team expenses incurred which are not covered by the $150 fee. WLL will strive to provide scholarship assistance pending President approval of scholarship requests. Note, the guidance for additional expenses families may incur could be between $250 and $400. However, this is guidance only.